Classic Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour (measured after sifting)
- 3 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup fat (shortening, butter, lard)
- 1 cup chilled buttermilk
- Heat oven to 450°F. Cut fat into sifted dry ingredients till like coarse crumbs.
- Make a well; add buttermilk all at once. Stir quickly with fork only till dough follows fork around bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. (Dough should be soft.) Knead gently with heel of hand 10 or 12 strokes. This makes tall plump biscuits. Roll or pat dough 1/2 inch thick.
- Dip biscuit cutter in flour, then cut dough straight down -- no twisting. Bake on un-greased baking sheet in a very hot oven 12 to 15 minutes.