- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs separated
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (or applesauce, or sour cream)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Sift together dry ingredients into bowl and mix.
- Beat egg whites in mixer until peaks are soft, and put aside for now.
- Combine milk, egg yolks and oil (or applesauce or sourcream) in two cup measure and mix well.
- Pour liquid into dry ingredients and gently mix. Don't try to get batter smooth, just mix until dry ingredients are moist. Allow this mixture to rest a minimum of 10 minutes to allow the moisture to be absorbed into the dry bits.
- Then fold in half of the beaten egg whites. Once the first half are incorporated, fold in the rest of the egg whites. Fold in gently. Again, don't over mix.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto hot waffle iron. Let cook until waffle iron says it's done.