For the Cake
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup neutral oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup nuts (your choice)
For the Frosting
- 1 stick butter (soft)
- 3/4 - 1 block of cream cheese (soft)
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350º F.
- Prepare your cake pan using your method of choice. I like to spray and then line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper for easy removal.
- Combine the carrots, water, oil, and sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and allspice together. Mix well to combine and disperse the baking soda.
- Add the cooled carrot mixture, the egg, and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Stir to just combined.
- Pour into cake pan, place in preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes, depending on your oven. Check at 25 minutes.
- When toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from pan and place back on cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and with whisk attachment, whip until combines. You may need to scrape the bowl down depending on your machine.
- When butter/cream cheese is whipped, add the powdered sugar. Whip until light and fluffy, scraping the sides as needed.
- Add vanilla and salt. Whip for a minute more, making sure that vanilla is incorporated well.
- Frost cooled cake and refrigerate at least 1 hour.