Basic Sweet Dough
- 2 pkgs dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 stick sweet butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 (8-ounce) packages softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- Any chocolate frosting will do, but it needs to be chocolate.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and beat with an electric mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer until smooth.
- Sprinkle yeast aver warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir. Cover and set aside until foaming and doubled in volume.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the scalded milk, sugar, salt and butter. Mix well. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add foaming yeast mixture and eggs. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add 2 cups flour. Beat well.
- Now add just enough flour to make a soft pliable dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a warm, well greased bowl, turning dough until thoroughly greased on all sides. Cover with a sheet of buttered wax paper, then with a soft linen towel. Set aside in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about l to 1 1/2 hours.
- When light and spongy, punch down with a floured fist. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 8 minutes. Cover with a clean cloth or a bowl and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces.
- Roll one piece into a 10" by 12" rectangle.
- Spread half of the filling onto dough, leave a 1 inch edge on one of the long sides.
- Beginning with the long side away from you and roll toward yourself as if for jelly roll.
- Seal by pinching dough and placing seam on baking sheet.
- Repeat with other dough half.
- Cover and let rise again until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and frost with chocolate frosting to look like a log.