- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced thin crosswise
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips (about 4 packed cups)
- Ground black pepper
- Bring broth, potatoes, and bay leaf to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Using potato masher, coarsely break up potatoes, leaving some large chunks.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook kielbasa, stirring frequently, until lightly browned in spots, about 4 minutes.
- Add leeks and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add potato mixture and kale to Dutch oven and simmer until kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Season with pepper and serve.