- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 tbsp Heavy cream
- 3 - 4 tbsp Rum (or Cognac)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup raw organic hazelnuts (optional, but recommended)
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. When melted, add the heavy cream and stir. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine the rum and sugar over low heat until hot. Combine this with the chocolate and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes beat the egg whites to stiff peak.
- In a separate bowl beat the whipped cream until soft peaks.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the refrigerator and fold in the egg whites, using the 1/3 / 2/3 method.
- Fold in the whipped cream and hazelnuts (see below). Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Dave’s Additions & Changes:
- Pre-heat oven to 300° F. Spread 1/2 cup organic hazelnuts on sheet pan or skillet. Place in oven for 12-15 minutes, checking and stirring every 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Place the roasted nuts on a cotton dishtowel and rub briskly to remove the skins. Discard the skins. Place the roasted hazelnuts in food processor or nut grinder and grind until fine, but not powder.