- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 - 3/4 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- bread, around 1/2 to 3/4 lb of day old + diced into 3/4" cubes; leave crusts on
- Preheat your oven and grease a 9" x 9" pan (if you have metal, the casserole will brown better).
- Slice and dice your bread and place into the baking pan.
- Add eggs, milk, cheese, salt, pepper and sage to a bowl. Whisk well to combine. Pour over bread cubes. Stir the mixture slightly and press the bread into the liquid. Allow the bread to soak at least one half hour.
- While bread is soaking, in a medium fry pan brown your sausage, onion and mushroom until done. Transfer to another dish to cool. When cool add to the bread/egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover pan with a sheet of foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil and place back into oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top has browned and the custard is set.
- Remove from oven allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.