- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes (unsalted preferrable)
- 2 quarts chicken broth (unsalted preferred)
- 6 oz thick sliced ham, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
- Place the olive oil into a large 6‐quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, ham, tomatoes, broth, cumin and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- (Optional) Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency.
- Serve immediately.