- 1/2 pound Emmental cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cherry brandy, such as kirsch
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- Pinch nutmeg
- Assorted dippers
- In a small bowl, coat the cheeses with cornstarch and set aside. Rub the inside of the ceramic fondue pot with the garlic, then discard.
- Over medium heat, add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer. Gradually stir the cheese into the simmering liquid. Melting the cheese gradually encourages a smooth fondue. Once smooth, stir in cherry brandy, mustard and nutmeg.
- Arrange an assortment of bite-sized dipping foods around fondue pot. Serve with chunks of French and pumpernickel breads.
- Some other suggestions are Granny Smith apples, blanched vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and asparagus, and boiled potatoes.
- Spear with fondue forks or wooden skewers, dip, swirl and enjoy!