The Shrimp Cocktail
- 32 shell-on (21 to 25 count) tiger shrimp
For the brine:
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups ice
For the cocktail sauce:
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup prepared chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Few grinds fresh black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning
- If not using easy peel shrimp, with a pair of scissors or a serrated knife, make an incision down the backside of the shrimp, following the intestinal track. Eviscerate shrimp and rinse under cool water leaving shells intact.
- Place cleaned shrimp into a bowl with brine and refrigerate mixture for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place a baking sheet or broiler pan under oven broiler and preheat for 5 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from the brine and rinse under cold water. Dry on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, if desired.
- Place shrimp onto the sizzling sheet pan and return to broiler immediately.
- After 2 minutes, turn the shrimp with a pair of tongs. Return the shrimp to broiler for 1 minute. Transfer to a cold cookie sheet. Refrigerate immediately.
- Once shrimp have chilled, arrange with cocktail sauce in a martini glass or as desired.
- While shrimp are brining, place tomatoes, chili sauce, horseradish, sugar, pepper, and salt in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate cocktail sauce until ready to serve.