Agua de Jamaica
2 quarts water3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you would like it to be)1 cup dried hibiscus flowers1/2 cinnamon stick (optional)A few thin slices ginger (optional)Allspice berries (optional)Lime juice (optional)Orange or lime slices for garnish
- Put 4 cups of the water and the sugar in a medium saucepan. Add cinnamon, ginger slices, and/or a few allspice berries if you would like. Heat until boiling and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in the dried hibiscus flowers.
- Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain into a pitcher and discard the used hibiscus flowers, ginger, cinnamon, and/or allspice berries.
- (At this point you can store ahead the concentrate, chilled, until ready to make the drink.)
- Add remaining 4 cups of water (or if you want to chill the drink quickly, ice and water) to the concentrate, and chill. Alternatively you can add ice and chilled soda water for a bubbly version. Add a little lime juice for a more punch-like flavor.
- Serve over ice with a slice of orange or lime.