1-4 dried chile peppers, a mix is good
1-4 whole cloves of garlic, unpeeled
1-2 teaspoons of whole cumin seed
2 15 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
- Bring approximately 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Set a heavy, preferably cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Add the peppers and the garlic to the pan. Turn often with tongs while roasting.
- When the peppers are soft, fragrant, and pliable, put into a bowl and cover with hot water.
- When the garlic is toasted and soft, set aside. Peel when cool.
- Add cumin seed to hot pan and toast lightly.
- When peppers have soaked about 5 minutes, pull from water and drain well. Separating out seeds now will help keep the heat down.
- Place soaked peppers, roasted garlic, toasted seeds, tomatoes, salt, and pepper into a blender and blend until the consistency you prefer.
- Check seasoning and adjust as needed. Sugar can help balance the acidity from the tomatoes.