|2 tbsp||28 g||unsalted butter|
|1 1/3 cup||227 g||semisweet chocolate chips|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|2/3 cups||131 g||granulated sugar|
|3 tbsp||corn starch|
|2 tbsp||11 g||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|3 large||egg yolks|
|1 cup||227 g||heavy cream (divided)|
|2 cups||454 g||milk|
|227 g||heavy whipping cream|
|28 g||confectioners sugar|
|1 tsp||vanilla bean paste, or good quality vanilla extract|
- Place the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a 2-quart mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan away from heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt. Whisk in 1/4 cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps. Repeat with another 1/4 cup of the cream. Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens; boil for 1 minute.
- Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pass the filling through a strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- lace plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill thoroughly.
- Place the heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl.
- Whip until the whisk begins to leave tracks in the bowl.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until the cream holds a medium peak.